July 14, 2013

Jain Temple in Mumbai

                    
                                                Stone elephant at Jain Temple.
                                                      Pic by Chris Gibson
We visited the Babu Amichand Panalal Adishwarji Jain temple here in Mumbai. I was pleasantly surprised by this brightly decorated temple. Its small size lends to a quiet and intimate ambience.  Although we were not permitted inside, we were allowed to walk around the perimeter and in the courtyard. I saw two large stone elephants and different deities, including an image of Ganesh. I was confused by this because Ganesh is Hindu.  I'm wondering if Jainism is an off-shoot of Hinduism. 

The ancient religion of Jainism comes from India. Like the Hindus, the Jains believe in  reincarnation.  

The Jains believe that they can achieve bliss and freedom when they lead lives of harmlessness. This means no animal (including insects) can be harmed. They are strict vegetarians.

I wish we had the chance to speak more in-depth with a Jain. There are so many questions I still have.  
Namaste!

No comments: