July 11, 2012

2012 Update

     pic 2012 by me

     The past two years I've been on a journey of a different sort...I've been learning how to help my mother with her advanced cancer care. It's been a hellish ordeal. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, yet cancer happens to too many people everyday.     

     In order to care for my mother, I've had to give up two golden opportunities to visit India (summers 2010 and 2011). Now I'm happy to announce I have another chance to visit and study in India...I've been awarded my 2012 Fulbright-Hayes Scholarship (yes, they make you re-apply)...but due to budget cuts, applications could not be reviewed in a timely manner. Hence, the 2012 scholarships have been moved to July 2013. 

     And you know what? Everything will be okay. I've been through so much drama since June 2010 that this minor setback pales in comparison. The GOOD NEWS is that my mother's cancer is in remission, and that I have my 2013 Award in hand. 

Is this a bittersweet pill?

Perhaps.

More sweet than bitter, I think.

     I am blessed. This summer I now have time to rediscover my love of running in road races...and rediscover my faith in all things possible.

I also want to thank everyone for your continued prayers. Prayers are good. Prayers work.

When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.

- Alexander Graham Bell.


2 comments:

Brian Miller said...

smiles...i like your outlook...and i am glad she is in remission...and that you have your ticket...make the most of the summer...smiles.

Ms. Gibson said...

Brian, it's been a learning experience for me. I learned to take NOTHING for granted.
Thanks for stopping by.
If God is willing, I will be posting a lot more here as July 2013 nears.